Follow-Up Service

Follow-Up Service

HOME Visa Services Follow-Up Service

Foreign Resident Registration

Who Must Register

A person who has been granted a period of stay of more than 3 months and has been issued a Japanese residence card.

Where To Register

Municipal government office of the city where you live.

When To Register

Within 14 days of the date when you find a place of residence or move to a new place of residence.

Documents Required

  • Notice of change of Address provided by a municipal goverment office.
  • Passport
  • Residence Card

Important Notes

  • All foreign nationals who are over 16 must always carry their residence card and present it whenever asked by authorized civil officers.
  • If any changes should be made to the registration information, the holder must apply for a change of registration at a designated government office.
  • Any foreign national who will leave Japan for over 1 year (without a re-entry permit) must return the card to a designated government office.

Re-entry Permit

Who Can Apply

All eligible foreign residents who will leave Japan for over 1 year.

Who Cannot Apply

  • Any foreign national under deportation procedures.
  • Any foreign national intending to discontinue the designated activities under their current status of residence after re-entering Japan.

Important Notes

  • In principle, you have to appear in person at your regional Immigration office (if under 16, someone who lives in the same household can represent you).
  • Duration of a re-entry permit is within your existing permitted period of stay.
  • You will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit if you re-enter Japan within 1 year of departure and have a valid passport and Japanese residence card (this is called a “Special Re-entry Permit”). However, if your period of stay expires within 1 year of depature, you must re-enter Japan before the expiration date.

Extension of Period of Stay

Who Can Apply

All eligible foreign residents who wish to continue their current permitted activities and stay in Japan beyond the originally permitted period.

Important Notes

  • You cannot change your status via an extension.
  • If you are a student and if your attendance rate is low, your application may be rejected.
  • You must have a valid reason for an extension.
  • You can only extend your stay once if your status is “short-term stay,” “entertainment,” or “trainee.”
  • If you are an “intracompany transferee” and have a valid reason for extension, you can make multiple extensions.

Change of Residence Status

Who Can Apply

All eligible foreign residents who intend to terminate the activities under the current status of residence and start a new activity under a different status.

Important Notes

  • You are only permitted to change your status when your reason is recognized as valid by the Minister of Justice.
  • If you have a “short-term stay” visa, you cannot change your status except if your reason is through unavoidable circumstances.

Activity Outside Permitted Scope

Who Can Apply

All eligible residents who intend to engage in other activities (part-time work) than the activities originally permitted.

Important Notes

  • If you are a student, you can apply before you decide where to work.
  • If you are not a student, you must decide where to work before applying for permission.
  • Your place of work must not be related entertainment or amusement businesses.
  • Your work must not interrupt your originally permitted activities.

Permitted Working Hours For Part-time Work

You can work less than 28 hours per week. If you are a student, you can work less than 8 hours per day during school vacation periods.


  Please feel free to contact us.

We accept e-mails 24 hours a day.


5F Nihombashi Muromachi Building, 3-3-16 Nihombashi Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0021